Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Distress Ink Tutorial

Today I am doing a tutorial with Distress Inks on the new Ranger Specialty Stamping paper!
Here is what the finished product looks like:

First of all, I stamped the image onto the Specialty Stamping Paper with Archival Black Ink.  Then I used the heat tool to dry the ink quicker.  Next, I taped around the four sides with Removable Scotch Tape.  I tape in about an 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch.
For this card I used lighter colored inks.  I used Scattered Straw, Broken China, and Victorian Velvet Distress Inks.  If you use darker the colors, then you don't need to do as much sponging.  I start out with sponging the Scattered Straw in three different areas, but leave some white space.  Then I used Victorian Velvet on some of the white space, then finally sponging the Broken China on the remaining open areas.  If I feel it needs more blending or to add more color I go back and add more.  Once the color is how I want it to look, then I remove the tape.  The last thing, I do is spritz the paper with water.  As the water dries, it leaves bleached spots over the image.

Even though I love this technique with the Silhouette stamps, it also looks nice with images that you color. Here is a sample of the same technique with the new Baby stamp.  The image with colored with Distress Markers.  This time the image was spritzed with a fine mist, creating a little different texture to the card.  Now it's your turn to give this a try!
These new stamps are available at the store.  Come in and see more beautiful stamps from this new Prickley Pear release!

2 comments:

Dot Tucker said...

This is so simple, but refreshing to know bycycling is just around the corner after this cold winter.

stampingbowd said...

Gorgeous cards! The image of the flowers overflowing the boot is so pretty! Lovely coloring!